Friday, May 9, 2014

Sandy Days


When Emma recieved the invitation, to say she was surprised was to put it mildly. It had been a long time since she'd heard or seen her daughter Cello. And today, on the tenth anniversary of Braendan's death...Emma was grateful to hear from Cello and a day at the beach sounded like just what Emma needed.
Symphony sulked the entire morning in the attic, even though Topaz and Carmelo had gone to a friends while Kona planned to spend the day in the garden so Symphony could do as she pleased, she was forced to remain inside most of the time due to her sensitivity to the sunlight.
As Emma headed out the door a loud bang from above made her wince and begin to question just what her children were doing up there...

By the time Emma arrived at the beach, Cello was already there relaxing on a towel.
When Emma was only a few feet from her daughter, Cello sat up and moved to hug her mother.


The act shocked Emma, but she recovered quickly enough to return the hug after only a moments hesitation.
Cello pulled back and silently helped her mother spread out the blanket and set the wrapped food down.

They both sat down and silently munched while looking out over the empty beach and ocean.
"I was really mad at you." Cello finally broke the silence.
"For the longest time...since you told us all the truth, I don't know. I just blamed you. For everything. All you've done." Cello cut herself off, sitting in silence.
Emma didn't say anything, she'd had a feeling Cello was also angry with her, but Cello was far more reserved then Symphony.
As time passed in the quiet, Emma saw the tears develop in Cello's eyes and her daughters shoulders slump.
"Were you ever going to tell us or just let us continue to believe that da-that Braendan was our father and never tell us the truth? When were you going to tell me that Kearney was my father?"

"I guess I never really thought about it." Emma saw the outrage and disbelief in her daughter's black eyes, but continued. "When I was pregnant with Symphony and Delmar I wasn't sure who's they were to be honest, I'd planned on telling Braendan after I gave birth when I knew the stress wouldn't cause them any harm. I knew we'd be able to tell after I gave birth who's they were and then it would be up to him, but the day I went into labor I learned he'd found another. And he left. Not then, but it wasn't long. A few years. When Symphony and Delmar were fourteen months I met your father and you and your sister were born but me and him didn't last.
He wasn't interested in family life I guess.
I had you two and then Braendan came back. Not long after I discovered I was expecting Topaz. And right before Braendan passed, I gave birth to Titus and Carmelo." Emma fell silent for several moments.
"I don't claim to be an angel. I've made my fair share of mistakes, I've sinned and have quite a few regrets, but I live my life and love all of my children and I don't regret any of them because then I wouldn't have all of you."
This time they both stayed silent, just watching the sun set together.
"I don't get it." Cello shrugged. "It doesn't make sense to me, and somehow I don't think you're telling me the whole truth, but I also don't think you're going to anytime soon either."
Emma didn't say a word, a small frown tugging the corners of her lips as they fell into a tense silence as the sun finally went below the horizon.

2 comments:

  1. Paparazzi's are everywhere! o_O

    Poor Cello. I'd wondered why she left, but I guess I found out. :D Hopefully, she'll forgive Emma, but really, Emma probably needed to be a little more truthful. *shrugs* Oh, well, you can't fix what has already happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are!

    The funny thing is, Cello actually got that wish as did all the others. Which worked out I suppose. Emma has a lot left to learn ;)

    ReplyDelete